BC Finance Minister Carole James delivered the province’s 2019 budget update on February 19, 2019. The budget anticipates a surplus of $274 million for the current year, $287 million for 2020 and $585 million in 2021.
The biggest announcements are:
- BC Child Opportunity Benefit
- Interest Free Student Loans
BC Child Opportunity Benefit
The BC Child Opportunity Benefit covers all children under 18 and can be applied for starting in October 2020. (This replaces the Early Childhood Tax Benefit where the benefit ended once a child turned six.)
Starting October 2020, families will receive a refundable tax credit per year up to:
- $1,600 with one child
- $2,600 with two children
- $3,400 with three children
Families with one child earning $97,500 or more and families with two children earning $114,500 or more will receive nothing.
Interest Free Student Loans
The provincial portion of student loans will now be interest-free effective as of February 19, 2019. The announcement covers both current and existing student loans.
Medical Services Premium
As previously announced in the last budget, effective January 1, 2020, the Medical Services Premium (MSP) will be eliminated. In last year’s budget update, MSP was reduced by 50% effective January 1, 2018.
Public Education System
The public education system will receive $550 million in additional support.
Pharmacare program will be expanded with an additional $42 million to cover more drugs, including those for diabetes, asthma and hypertension.
To learn how these changes will affect you, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
CorePlan Financial Inc. Burnaby Office
CorePlan Financial Inc. Fort St. John Office
2 – 11116 100th Ave.
Fort St. John, BC
Phone: (250) 785-9603
Toll Free: 1 (877) 461-5140
Fax: 1 (888) 453-3277
- TFSA vs RRSP – What you need to know to make the most of them in 2021January 21, 2021 - 2:01 pm
- 2021 Financial CalendarJanuary 4, 2021 - 6:00 am
- Government of Canada to allow up to $400 for home office expensesDecember 29, 2020 - 11:47 am
- Business Owners: 2020 Tax Planning Tips for the End of the YearDecember 11, 2020 - 6:00 am
- Highlights of the 2020 Federal Fall Economic Statement | Additional $20,000 CEBA loan available nowDecember 7, 2020 - 3:42 pm
Subscribe to our newsletter
By providing your email address, you provide us with your express consent to send you commercial electronic messages related to finances and/or investments that may be of interest to you. Should you wish to discontinue receiving emails of this nature, you may contact us at email@example.com to withdraw your consent at any time.